- Published in: The Queens Courier
On a recent Thursday afternoon, a dozen girls clambered out of a boat. Their coach timed them to see if they could get themselves and their oars back in their boathouse in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in less than two minutes. They succeeded.
And although they were only in middle school and new to the sport, the girls knew where they were going. “I would definitely want to row in college,” said Maria Valencia, 14, an eighth grader at the Young Women’s Leadership School in Astoria.
- Lunch Lessons at East Harlem School
- One School’s Struggle For Survival
- Girls Explore the Science of Fashion
- Grads Bid to Save High School
- CD 12: Q&A With Ken Bernard