- Published in: Voices of NY
A stalled construction site on a quiet, tree-lined street in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, has divided the neighborhood.
Muslims plan to build a mosque and Islamic center there, and some residents say it is an unwelcome presence.
The site is one of nine battles over building new mosques in New York State. While opposition to a proposed Islamic center in the vicinity of the World Trade Center has become a nationally-known flashpoint, clashes in Brooklyn, Staten Island and upstate New York have gone largely unnoticed outside their neighborhoods.
- Tiny Country Battles Rising Tide
- Reasons to Stay Sweet on Chocolate
- Sun Rising on Careers in Solar Energy
- 'Obama Oil' an Atlantic Ave. Hit
- A View From The Mosques