Residents of Long Beach, L.I., caught Sandy’s full wrath as the storm splintered the city’s iconic boardwalk and drowned its homes, rendering nearly 35,000 people without power and water for weeks.
In Long Beach’s West End neighborhood, a well-loved bar nearing its 100th anniversary suddenly became the de facto community center for a community in need.
Shine’s Bar at 55 California St., had always been a locals’ joint. But when owners Brent Wilson, 32, and Megan Casey, 29, started putting out donated food and supplies for their neighbors, they soon found themselves at the epicenter of the local recovery effort.
- Staying Put on Staten Island
- Coney Island Bands Together
- Bringing Relief to Coney Island
- Long Waits at Food Stamps Center
- New Owner Vows To Raise The Bar